Enjoy the good things efficiency brings.
Reduce the burden of heating and electricity costs for your rental property with technical assistance and financial support – up to 80% of your efficiency upgrades!
For providers of affordable rental housing, our comprehensive energy audit will identify saving opportunities at no cost to you. We’ll help cover the cost of the recommended efficiency upgrades for all areas of your existing rental property, at up to 80% of your total project cost. For shelters and transition houses, we will assist with 100% of the cost of qualifying upgrades.
Interest free financing for up to 60 months is available to qualifying Nova Scotia Power customers.
The service is available to any registered business, charity, or other organization within Nova Scotia offering year-round housing at, or below, the following rental rates:
|Area||Bach||1 Bed||2 Bed||3 Bed||≥4 Bed|
|HRM, Wolfville and the Town of Antigonish||$620||$710||$890||$1,100||$1,402|
|Urban areas of: CBRM, Antigonish County, Pictou County, Colchester County, Hants County, and Kings County||$476||$572||$704||$842||$1,275|
|All others areas||$430||$480||$570||$660||$1,120|
The average monthly rent of 50% or more of tenant units within the building is less than or equal to these thresholds.
• Pre-approval is required.
• Must be a registered business or organization. Multifamily housing owned by individual resident households are ineligible.
• The property encompasses at least one of the following: non-profit rental housing, for-profit rental housing, shelters, transition houses, co-operatives, or government funded affordable housing.
• Both common areas and tenant spaces are eligible, including space within the building dedicated to the operations of affordable housing.
• Minimum of two separate dwellings at the property.
• The customer will authorize and provide access for determining total energy consumption at the property address. (Nova Scotia Power total annual electricity consumption for the property address).
• The customer will provide notice to tenants in advance of the energy audits and verification visits.
• The customer will provide Efficiency Nova Scotia and its affiliates with dedicated building staff in order to provide access to tenant units and common areas during the energy audit(s) and verification visit(s).
• The property must meet the following rental rate cutoffs.
|Area||Bach||1 Bed||2 Bed||3 Bed||≥4 Bed|
|HRM, Wolfville and the Town of Antigonish||$665||$750||$940||$1,140||$1,460|
|Urban areas of: CBRM, Antigonish County, Pictou County, Colchester County, Hants County, and Kings County||$476||$580||$775||$875||$1,325|
|All others areas||$430||$525||$650||$810||$1,160|
•The average monthly rent of 50% or more of tenant units within the building is less than or equal to these thresholds.
•Annual energy savings are meant to offset pressures on tenant rental rates. As such, the customer will notify Efficiency Nova Scotia if average rental rates at the property are expected to increase more than 2.5% annually.
• A customer (business/landlord) may submit a maximum 2 properties for the program.
• A single customer will receive no more than $50,000 in total rebates.
• Multifamily properties not eligible for incentives include but are not limited to; military housing, long-term care facilities, health facilities, condominiums, corporations, hospitality lodging, youth camps, hostels, cottages, campgrounds, academic dormitories, and any rental housing that exceeds the eligible rental rate cutoffs.
• Mixed-use and commercially leased spaces are ineligible for funding.
Increased comfort – reduced drafts, higher quality lighting, and stable room temperatures are just a few of the ways our recommendations can make your building more inviting to current and future tenants.
Lower energy bills – upgrades paired with information for tenants and staff will help to lower utility costs.
Control costs – maintain rental affordability for tenants. Fewer financial pressures allow rent to be paid on time without penalties.
Improve housing stock – our incentives are geared towards upgrading your equipment.