A free service to help you save money and recycle older appliances - and we pay you for it.
Older fridges and freezers can use more electricity than any other home appliance, so retiring them can mean real savings. Let us help:
- We’ll pick up your old, working fridge or freezer, recycle it, and give you $30
- Add an air conditioner, get an extra $10
- Bonus: add a small fridge or freezer, get an extra $10
We’ll make sure your appliance is recycled responsibly, and the CFCs are removed.
Let the savings continue: retiring your old fridge or freezer can save you over $180 a year.
Book a pick-up online, or call us toll free at 1-888-303-2103.
Book a pick-up online, or call us toll free at 1-888-303-2103. Pick-ups are available Monday to Friday, typically within 3 weeks of booking.
- Clear a path from the appliance to the nearest exit in your home or garage
- Check the appliance still works: empty and plug in your appliance 2 to 4 hours in advance to ensure it is cooling (we will verify at pick-up)
- Ensure someone over the age of 18 is available at the time of pick-up to sign a release form.
Refrigerators and freezers are two of the biggest energy consumers in your home. But newer models can cost far less to operate, thanks to better insulation, tighter door seals, and improved compressors and cooling coils.
Save your money: By recycling your old fridge, you can save big on electricity costs. Replace it with an ENERGY STAR certified appliance, and you cut your energy use.
Stay comfortable: Newer fridges run cooler, quieter, and keep food fresher longer – that means you’re not just saving energy, you’re potentially saving food.
Save our environment: We will ensure your appliance is recycled responsibly, and the CFCs are safely removed. While Nova Scotia’s electricity system is rapidly becoming greener, on any given day up to 70% of our electricity is still generated by coal, oil, petcoke and natural gas. Every old fridge we recycle removes harmful greenhouse gas emissions from our environment.
We pick up fridges and freezers that are:
- 10 years old: Check the appliance nameplate for the date of manufacture. If there is no nameplate on the appliance, it likely meets the age requirement. Appliance 411 is a good resource to help determine the age of your appliance
- Full-sized: 10 – 25 cubic feet (fridges over 5.5 ft high). We will pick up smaller fridges, freezers, and air conditioners if they accompany at least one full-sized appliance
- In working condition: Non-working appliances do not use electricity, and therefore are not eligible for pick-up (please contact your local municipal office to find the nearest recycling depot to dispose of non-eligible appliances)
- Located in Nova Scotia.
From lighting to heating systems and everything in between, this calculator helps you understand how electricity is used in your [...]
Replacing your old working fridge? Book a free pickup, and let us do the work! We’ll even pay you for [...]
Follow these 10 tips to help with the efficiency and life of your fridge or freezer.