We’ll help reduce your business’s energy use with technical assistance and financial support - up to 50% of the project cost!
Make your business more energy efficient, comfortable to work in, and save big on energy costs.
We offer up to $500,000 to help with the cost of engineering studies as well as energy efficient equipment and installation like:
- Compressed air equipment
- Motors and variable speed drives
- Lighting design or redesign
- Heating, cooling and ventilation (HVAC)
Eligibility and support is determined on a case-by-case basis.
Contact us to discuss your project: email@example.com or call toll free at 1-877-999-6035
- Submit a scoping study rebate application to identify energy saving opportunities in your facility. We will cover half the cost of a Scoping Study to a maximum of $1,000. Complex measures identified in a scoping study may require further analysis through a feasibility study before implementation. Pre-approval is not required.
- Submit an information request consent form (PDF) with your scoping study.
- Note: The funding provided for studies will later be deducted from the total incentive available.
- Submit a feasibility study to clearly outline the costs and energy savings of proposed upgrades. Feasibility studies can be conducted by a professional engineer on your staff or by an external firm. Efficiency Nova Scotia can help with templates and guidelines for completing the study, loan you test equipment at no charge, and cover the full cost of the study (up to $15,000). We will also accept existing studies if they meet our requirements, although no incentive will be paid toward the cost.
- Submit an information request consent form (PDF) with your feasibility study (if not previously completed).
- Discuss the results of the feasibility study with us.
- Decide which energy saving upgrades you want to incorporate into your facility. We can help by providing customized incentives and on-bill financing.
- Once finished, we will conduct a site visit to verify upgrades and issue payments for the measures completed.
- Submit a custom project incentive claim along with copies of project invoices for incentive.
5) Project Implementation
- We will provide a custom Project Development Agreement for the implementation of your project, with an incentive based on the energy savings determined by the feasibility study.
- Once the agreement is finalized, implement the project using in-house staff and/or external contractors.
6) Measurement and Verification
- We will work with your organization to develop an appropriate measurement and verification methodology to verify the energy savings results for the project, and outline the details in the Project Development Agreement.
- We will provide your organization with test equipment at no charge; however, you will be responsible for conducting the measurements and providing the energy saving verification results.
7) BONUS: Air Leak Detection Survey
- Efficiency Nova Scotia offers complimentary air leak detection surveys. Using ultrasonic leak detection equipment, we will locate and tag leaks in your facility. You will receive a report detailing the leaks in your facility and their associated energy costs.
- Once you have repaired at least 50% of the leaks in your report, schedule a follow-up leak detection survey to report the energy savings, and quantify your overall benefits.
- Take advantage of a complimentary leak detection survey on its own, or in conjunction with a Feasibility Study on your compressed air system.
- A feasibility study will help identify inefficiencies in the sizing and control strategies used in your compressed air system, which can result in further energy savings. To learn more about identifying leaks and making the most of your compressed air system, please view our Compressed Air Guide.
- Submit a memorandum of understanding to have a leak survey conducted at your facility.
Think win-win-win-win. An energy efficient business is:
- Less expensive to operate
- More comfortable to work in
- More environmentally friendly
- More competitive
Save money: Energy efficiency upgrades are a permanent gift: they just keep giving. And not only can you reduce your energy bill significantly, we’ll help you do it. Depending on your project, you can qualify for up to $500,000 in rebates.
Invest in comfort: While your facility may already be well-designed, integrating energy efficiency technologies can make your space more inviting and comfortable with better temperature control and air quality.
Save our environment: Businesses use more than 50% of all the electricity we generate in the province. Because every kilowatt of electricity we use in Nova Scotia can be up to 75% fossil fuel-based, any project that improves your energy consumption is also an upgrade to our environment. In Nova Scotia, a plan for a more energy efficient business is a plan for fewer greenhouse gas emissions in our air.
Get competitive: Managing your energy costs is good for business. The upfront investment will pay off in the long run – and help you maintain your competitive edge.
Contact us to discuss your project ideas: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-877-999-6035
Eligible facilities typically have a peak electrical demand of 50 kW per month or higher.
Eligibility and support is determined on a case-by-case basis, and depends on:
- project size
- energy savings
- equipment involved
- financial need
Incentives are up to 50% of the total project cost ($500,000 max), including:
- 50% of the cost of a scoping study ($1,000 max)
- 100% of the cost of a feasibility study ($15,000 max)
- The lesser of:
- 50% of eligible project equipment and installation costs
- the funding needed to meet a required payback schedule
- the custom yearly budgeted $/kWh-saved
We can also offer interest-free, multi-year financing for remaining project costs.
Note: funding for studies and the cost of financing is deducted from the total incentive available.