A service for new home construction that provides custom recommendations on your building plans, improves energy efficiency, helps secure an EnerGuide rating - and pays you up to $5,000!
If you’re building a new home, we can help make it more energy efficient and comfortable.
For $99, a Certified Energy Advisor will review your building plans and provide you with customized recommendations to improve the energy efficiency of your design – and reach the target you need to be eligible for incentives.
Depending on the efficiency of your new home, you could receive up to $5,000 in rebates. You can also get an EnerGuide rating that tells you (and future buyers) that your home knows how to save money.
For more info, email email@example.com or call us toll free: 1-877-999-6035
Before or within 30 days of receiving your building permit, call one of our efficiency partners to complete and submit an application.
Amerispec Home Inspection Services
Province-wide (Except Cape Breton and Yarmouth County)
1-844-432-0077 or 902-708-0436 (in HRM)
1-855-730-3344 or 902-701-2135 in Halifax area
Homesol Building Solutions
Mainland Nova Scotia excluding Yarmouth, Shelburne, and Digby Counties
1-855-973-0954 or 902-708-0441 in Halifax area
1-855-839-7775 or 902-701-5578 (in HRM)
1-844-469-0687 or 902-701-6737 (in HRM)
- They will complete your initial assessment and evaluate your building plans. A Certified Energy Advisor will be assigned to you or your builder and will make recommendations to incorporate energy efficiency technologies into your build. Efficiency Nova Scotia covers more than 80% of the cost of the assessment so it only costs you $99 + HST.
- Build your home and have your Certified Energy Advisor conduct a follow up Energy Assessment within 12 months of your application approval date.
- Either the homeowner or builder may register the home. The rebate will go to the homeowner, unless it has been assigned to the builder by the homeowner.
Think win-win-win. An energy efficient home is:
- Less expensive to operate
- More comfortable to live in
- More environmentally friendly
Save your money: After reviewing your building plans, your Certified Energy Advisor works like a detective – searching for any opportunities to save money and energy. And depending on the level of efficiency of your home, you can receive up to $5,000 in incentives.
Stay comfortable: Integrating good design, a high performance building envelope, and energy efficient technologies into new construction can keep your house warmer and more comfortable in every room – for less money.
Save our environment: Because every kilowatt of electricity you use is up to 70% fossil fuel-based, any upgrade you make to your home is also an upgrade to our environment. In Nova Scotia, a plan for a more energy efficient home is a plan for fewer greenhouse gas emissions in our air.
We offer the $99 service, recommendations, and rebates to homes that are:
- Registered before or within 30 days of receiving a building permit
There are two rebates available, depending on the efficiency of your new home. You can pursue ENERGY STAR or R2000 certification, or have your home rated using the EnerGuide rating system. The certification or rating achieved will define your incentive:
- $2,000 Rebate
- ENERGY STAR, or
- EnerGuide rating of 85-87
- $5,000 Rebate
- R2000, or
- EnerGuide rating of >=88
Once registered, you have one year from your registration date to complete construction of the home and have the final energy assessment performed. Either the builder or the homeowner may register the home, but the rebate will go to the owner unless the homeowner assigns the rebate to the builder.
Passive House Pilot
Due to the success of the Passive House pilot, this initiative is currently at capacity and no longer accepting registrations.
If you are planning to build to the Passive House standard, please consider the following:
- Contact one of the certified Passive House consultants listed below to help you design your home to the Passive House standard
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be notified of any future program offerings for Passive House
- Consider registering your project in the New Home Construction program, which has rebates of up to $2,000 available.
Certified Passive House Consultants do not work for Efficiency Nova Scotia. The individuals listed are independent consultants that are solely responsible for the performance and quality of their work. Efficiency Nova Scotia does not guarantee and is not responsible for any work performed by the consultants listed.
Find out how Efficiency Nova Scotia is helping new home owners save energy and money with an in-depth look at [...]
Small changes to your building plans can have a big impact on the lifelong operating costs of your new home. [...]
The homeowners wanted to save money and energy and increase the value of their home. With help from Efficiency Nova Scotia, they [...]
What’s the deal with heat pumps? Heat pumps are a very efficient technology and now with the availability of ductless [...]
Types of Insulation 1. Rolls and Batts Rolls and batts — or blankets — are flexible products made from [...]
High performance, energy efficient homes built today are comfortable, have affordable energy costs, and provide superior indoor air quality. This [...]