Affordable Housing Eligibility
Eligible Property Types
- Shelters – Must offer rent-free housing.
- Transition Houses – Must offer rent-free housing.
- Rooming Houses – Must have 4 or more rooms and be a registered rooming house.
- Co-Operatives – Must have 4 or more units in the same building and meet the maximum rental rate criteria in the Affordable Housing Agreement.
- Affordable Rentals – Must have 4 or more units in the same building and meet the maximum rental rate criteria in the Affordable Housing Agreement.
- Buildings where rent is charged must have a minimum of 4 dwelling units (apartments) per building, and 4 or 50% of those units (whichever is greater) must be less than or equal to the rental rate cut-offs found in the Affordable Housing Agreement.
- The landlord or owner must be willing to commit to 12 years of affordable housing upon acceptance of rebates from Efficiency Nova Scotia, as per the Affordable Housing Agreement.
- For-profit businesses may submit a maximum 2 existing rental properties for the program per calendar year. Non-profit and charitable organizations are not restricted in the numbers of properties enrolled.
- Eligible upgrades will be determined by a certified energy auditor. Efficiency Nova Scotia reserves the right to determine eligibility for rebates on a case-by-case basis.
- A single customer will receive no more than $100,000 per property.
- Annual energy savings are meant to offset pressures on tenant rental rates. As such, the customer will notify Efficiency Nova Scotia if average rental rates at the property are expected to increase more the National All-item Consumer Price Index.
- Multifamily properties not eligible for incentives include but are not limited to; public housing, military housing, long-term care facilities, health facilities, condominiums, corporations, hospitality lodging, youth camps, hostels, cottages, campgrounds, academic dormitories, and any rental housing that exceeds the eligible rental rate cut-offs.
- New construction projects are not eligible for incentives.